Skip to content

Can investors ask for their money back?

Featured Replies

This came up during a meeting this week while we were discussing how angel investment actually works and what happens if things don't go to plan.

Unlike a traditional business loan, investment normally involves an investor taking equity in return for their money, but there seem to be circumstances where agreements can become more complicated.

Can an angel investor ever ask for their original investment back, and what should founders look out for in the investment agreement?

I'd be looking closely at the "what happens if things go wrong" part. That's probably where the important stuff is hidden.

This is where I'd be wary. If they can get their money back, under what circumstances? That's the bit I'd want clarified before signing anything.

I would be interested to read the exit and failure clauses

  • Administrator
On 04/09/2026 at 15:11, Harvey Reid said:

I would be interested to read the exit and failure clauses

Good point, Harvey.

Has anyone here had an investor ask for something they weren't expecting? ๐Ÿค”


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions โ†’ Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.