Skip to content

Can You Use ARR If Customers Can Cancel at Any Time?

Featured Replies

A founder asked us about measuring recurring revenue when some of their customers are on monthly plans with no long-term commitment.

Can you still use ARR if some of your customers are monthly and can cancel at any time?

Yes and thats based on experience. Monthly customers can still contribute to ARR.

But I'd be very careful calling it "predictable" revenue if half your customers can disappear next month.

That's the bit people seem to miss. ARR is a snapshot, not a promise that they'll actually stay for 12 months.

Exactly! I'd show ARR alongside churn and retention. Otherwise the number doesn't tell you much.

Yep. ยฃ500k ARR with terrible retention isn't the same business as ยฃ500k ARR with customers sticking around.

I'd actually question why founders get so obsessed with the ARR label anyway ๐Ÿ˜‚

If an investor asks what's happening with revenue, I'd rather show the actual customer behaviour.


Agreed. If the metric needs a 10 minute explanation, it's probably not the metric I'd lead with.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions โ†’ Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.